The involvement of a toastmaster at a civil ceremony
My Involvement is:
To be in attendance at least an hour before the service.
- To liaise with the Registrar at all times.
- To make sure that the Groom sees the Registrar at the pre-arranged time.
- To welcome the guests and inform them where the service will be taking place.
- To liaise with the ushers and assist with seating arrangements if necessary.
- To inform everyone of the lay-out of the venue, cloakrooms, telephones etc.
- To make sure that all guests are seated 15 minutes before the service is due to commence.
- To welcome the Bride and assist the photographer.
- To further liaise with the Registrar and usher the bride to make her entrance.
- The bride's entrance is announced by the Registrar, whereupon I close the doors to the room where the service is being held, making sure that there are no disturbances and assisting any late arrivals for the service.
- When the service is finished, I escort the bride and groom to their reception.
As you can imagine, there is always a great deal of work carried out 'behind the scenes' such as checking on timings, handling the unexpected, awareness of weather conditions and so forth.